Sunday, March 3, 2013


Some time back, we tried our hands with screen printing. We converted the screen printing designs into pouches. Again, we mainly used scraps for screen printing and for stitching as well. These pouches can be used to keep i-pads, stationary, jewellery etc. 

Currently we are doing more of Shibori, and I will share the images of samples soon :)

Thursday, February 7, 2013

We are back!

I have been updating this blog after a very long time.
It feels good to be back here. 

I have been working with children, training them to design some accessories from the skills they have learnt so far.  We have used scraps of fabric, and the magic of embroidery to depict our ideas. Our broader themes were- nature, objects and shapes.

The designs are children's perceptions of sun, flowers, star, birds etc.
I hope you enjoy looking at the designs.

We will be selling our designs at Freedom Park, as a Part of WAKE UP, CLEAN UP BENGALURU, on February 9th and 10th.
Do come to see our work :)

Thursday, June 23, 2011

sets for the play :)


These are the sets and props for the play that we did for our play "Duddu Kasu Dabbu Currency". We used Japanese technique Shibori to make the sets for the play and Origami to make props. Students indulged in 15 days workshop with Shibori artist Sarah Thomas to learn Shibori and origami. These are some images of work in progress. Hope to enjoy seeing them :)


Thursday, May 19, 2011

Costumes :)

Children are preparing for theater production that will take place in July. My group of children will be doing costumes for the play. We are struggling a bit but we will crack it. Photographs of the process and the costumes will be up soon :)

Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Exploring new material

We are exploring different materials to make bags, key chains etc.
Here we have used plastic gunny sacks which are used for carrying
wheat to make small purses :)

Sunday, January 30, 2011

Monday, October 18, 2010

Illustrations for tool-kit

This is the illustration style I am going to use for my tool-kit book. It is a cover for an activity card. Each card will have a front cover with an illustration like this with some conversations written on it.
These conversations came out during the process of doing an activity. This will give more insight to a facilitaor who will be conducting the activity.

[to see iterations of this work please click here and scroll down]

Monday, September 27, 2010

bags in progress

Kids told me that they want to make a bag for themselves as they need a bag to carry their things to school or otherwise. I was looking at different kinds of bags they can make like a bag with a belt or bag like folder. Then I thought it would be nicer if they have a bigger bag so they can carry their books as well in that bag. I thought it would be nice to use their old sketches from previous activities.
I chose the activities of finding "things in pairs" and "first thing they touched in the morning" that I had done with younger group, some of the kids had already done this activity so they started making their bags by taking the visual from this activity (they tool top and thread, radio) others quickly drew 5 ideas for things found in pairs, chose one that they like the most and started making bags (pairs like stove and gas cylinder, kite and spool, foot and slippers, scissors and fabric came out) they made bags in the shape of cylinder with stove attached, top, kite, water “matka”. They used only patchwork to stitch their bags. I told them to choose fabrics which are printed and embroidered and combine them together to make their bag. This will reduce their work of embroidering on it. They will just have to stitch patches together.

Sunday, September 19, 2010


Now the activities were bringing out abastract art pieces from children. It was time to break the chain and bring in some new activities that would emerge visuals that are different from what we have been doing till now. It was also time to bring in a new technique to use to break the monotony. So I kept different objects in front of children and told them to choose one object and draw 5 sketches of the same sketch. Each successive sketch being simplified from the previous sketch. I introduced children to printing using rubber chappal. They carved one of the simplified sketch of the object and printed on a piece of fabric that they will use as a patch on a garment.